A love that lays down its life



Tucked away in Central London's 'Postman's Park' is a sheltered stone wall. Next to the wall a little sign quotes John 15:13

'Greater love has no one than this, to lay down his life for his friends'.

This wall is a memorial to ordinary people who have died saving the lives of others. The wall bears 54 plaques etched with the names of heroes. The most recent plaque was placed there in 2009.

Descriptions are given of fire, water and fast moving transportation that killed men, women, boys and girls as they rescued family, friends, neighbours and strangers. One women refused to be held back and from climbing a burning staircase in order to save the life her elderly mother and an eight year old boy lost his life carrying his little sister to safety.

This wall is named 'The Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice' and holds a triumphant message - people's lives were saved! Men, women, boys and girls were experiencing horror, fear, pain and distress when strong arms rescued them - arms of love drew them to safety. Their terror turned to grateful humility and for those rescued this memorial bears the names of those they owe an unrepayable debt.

I too am one who owes an unrepayable debt and my own life has been saved through the agonising death of another.

My Saviour, Jesus Christ, laid down His life and says: 'no one takes it from me, but I lay it down of myself'. (John 10:18) Christ chose to offer His life so that I could live. He bore utter humiliation, pain and the very torments of hell. Being fully man He died, forsaken by His own Father. The triumphant message is that this man is fully God and He rose from the dead, conquering sin and death and hell.

He was forsaken so that I will never be forsaken. He bore God's wrath and punishment in order that I never bear God's wrath and punishment. And as Christ denied Himself, so my life is to be a reflection of His self-denial: 'whoever desires to come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and follow me'. (Mark 8:34)

Christ displayed love in the greatest way that love could ever be displayed and His love demands my love in its entirety, my soul, my life and my all.


Rebecca Wells

The Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing. I really like the contrast you made of Christ's self-sacrificial love and the sacrifice of other people. I don't know how you spell it, but Agape love is the best! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you, what a great reminder of His love and sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)