If you love Me, keep My commandments

Question 48 of Keach's catechism asks: 'What is the sum of the Ten Commandments?' And answers 'The sum of the Ten Commandments is to love the Lord our God, with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our strength, and with all our mind; and to love our neighbour as ourselves. (Matthew 22:36-40; Mark 12:28-33; Romans 13:8-10)'

The diagram below shows how beautifully ordered God's commandments are.

  • Just as the Lord's prayer contains every prayer the Ten Commandments contains every law. Just as the Lord's prayer doesn't dispense with every other revealed prayer or vice versa, so the Ten Commandments don't dispense with other revealed laws or vice versa.
  • Loving our neighbour is nested in, not distinct from loving God.
  • The Ten Commandments are Christ-shaped and love is Ten Commandment-shaped.

 
I love God's law because it teaches me how to live and I love grace because it's grace that enables me to live like this.
 
 
Rebecca Wells
With sincere thanks to Simon Doyle, a dear family friend and leader of our church's catechism class, who composed the diagram and accompanying bullet points.

1 comment:

  1. I want that!

    Open my eyes, that I may behold
    wondrous things out of your law.
    Psalm 119.18

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)