We need it!

"Brothers pray for us"
1 Thessalonians 5:25


Isn't it striking that Paul asks for prayer? I certainly find it quite a challenge. The greatest missionary in the world needed prayer. The one who wrote most of what we have in our Bibles as the New Testament needed prayer. A man who said such stirring things as that for him "to live is Christ and to die is gain"- he needed prayer! 

So I wonder, are we really aware of our own need for prayer. I believe the main point of application of this verse to ourselves is this: Christians, pray for one another. 


Do we pray for our pastors, those in authority over us (including parents!)?

Are we willing to ask for prayer from others? 

Do we spend more time praying for ourselves or praying for others? Look through the Bible's mentions of praying and compare the amount of times it talks about praying for others as opposed to the amount of time it spends talking about praying for yourself, you might be surprised!

The most exciting that I have found about praying for others is that I see God's answers to prayer far more clearly in others than I do in myself. It isn't that God doesn't answer my prayers for myself but that I see more clearly his work in others. Try it. Look out for God's answers and you'll be excited. 

“Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance but laying hold of his willingness.” Luther. 

Christians, pray for one another. We need it!




Thomas van den Broek


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)