More Strength

I once read a short extract of an article, taken from a church magazine, where a daughter wrote honestly and lovingly about her Mother’s dependence on prayer. I often find myself thinking about this true story as, throughout each day, I too pray for more strength!

‘I remember a night when I was asked to help get dinner on the table. Dad was out of town, and Mom, seven months pregnant and caring for five children ages two to nine, was serving my most-hated meal – black-eyed peas and Spam…I complained loudly about the dinner, and soon Mom disappeared from the kitchen. I called to find her and got no answer…Something drew me to the basement and I found her at last in the furnace room. It was completely dark and she was crying. Seeing her seven-year-old standing there in fear, she wiped her eyes and told me she needed to come pray for more strength. That early image of Mom as an intercessor and supplicant fills my mind and memory now with its poignancy and truth. Instead of shouting in anger at my childish insensitivity, she withdrew to call on more reserves from her heavenly Father, abundantly available to her for the asking. ‘And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work’ 2 Corinthians 9:8’
So, when I’m feeling weak and helpless, uninspired and weary, the sweetness of the story makes me smile and the truth - that the very same reserves of strength, so freely available to this Mother, are abundantly available for my asking - makes me glad! My Heavenly Father delights in hearing my weak and feeble cries for strength and he delights to answer them too.
“Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, Yes I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
 
Rebecca Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)