Discussion question: giving
Labels: Bible, Christian Living, Current Affairs, Discussions, Money, Question for Discussion · Posted by Walking Worthy at 15:15
With so many organisations desperate for money, how is a young person, beginning to have money at their disposal, able to discern who to give it to? Every time you walk up a busy street there is someone with a clipboard or bucket, demanding your time and funds. In Christian circles the appeal seems broader- missionaries need money, churches need money, Christian charities need money, evangelistic work needs money and even the old lady at the back needs a few coins! Here are a few questions to think about. In all of these questions the overall question is: ‘how is God most glorified in the use of our money and giving?’. Please feel free to leave your thoughts, comments, answers and ideas.
- What does the Bible say about giving? (Matthew 6:4, James 2:16, Acts 2:20, Mark 12:41-44 etc.)
- Can we only give to Christian groups or can people like Oxfam and CancerResearch benefit from us too?
- Are there ever any cases in which it would be wrong to give someone money when they ask for it?
- Are missionaries less spiritual if they go around telling churches they need funds?
- Does God give us an upper and lower limit to our giving. Do we have to give a certain amount? How much is too much?
- Do we need to give to our local church if we give to MERF as well?
- How do we decide whether to support gospel work or charity work? Is it wrong to help both?
- Should we give to beggars?
- Is it right for us to ask rich non-Christians for money?