Exam Fears

I held the book up higher in order to read it in a slightly better light. Night was closing in on the eve of my first ever public exam. The nerves had got to the point where I was experiencing physical pain! My imagination had run away with me. I thought that upon entering the exam we would have to turn our pockets out, that our already label-less bottles of water would be severely scrutinised – maybe even the contents tested and I pictured terrifyingly austere exam officers.

So in my desperation I picked up a book that in the past few weeks I had grown to love, ‘How to Study’ by Edward Shewan. I began to read: “As disciples of Christ, we should realise that the Bible exhorts us not to fear anyone (Matthew 10:28) or anything, but God alone (Deuteronomy 6:2). This must be our attitude when we approach our fears – even the fear of taking a test. God knows our every weakness,
and how our earthly frames are (Hebrews 2:17-18). His word and promises uphold us in time of need. Therefore make it a matter of prayer – asking the Lord to help you overcome the fear of taking exams. Claim His promise in Isaiah 41:10 which says, ‘Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand’...
Before you begin (the exam), pray. Ask the Lord to help you recall what you have studied. If you have prepared, He can help you according to his will. But do not expect God to work in a vacuum.”

I felt my nerves ease a little and my head begin to clear – it was almost as if one of the exam officers I had managed to conjure up had smiled! “If you have prepared…” I had, I knew I had prepared as best I could. “He can help you according to his will…” God would be faithful. I had absorbed the information I had needed to, I had revised it in every spare minute that I had and God would be faithful.

The next morning I would have to leave my teacher, my books and my notes all behind when I went into the exam, but God would go with me. Not meaning that I would get 100% (I didn’t), not meaning I would supernaturally be ‘given’ the answers, not meaning my fellow students would be distracted by the halo on my head and the cherub perched beside me, but meaning that His will would be done. If it was His will he would give me a clear mind, the ability to recall what I had learnt, the wisdom to understand what was being asked and to answer with speed and clarity. But if that wasn’t His will then he would have an ultimately bigger and better plan for me and if that was His will then so be it.

By Becsy Wells

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Becsy, I'm not studying but this is such a timely reminder for me. I won't go into detail but just to say it is really very perfect timing!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post i posted it in my igoogle
    best
    philip

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)