- Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to the glory of God, and my own good, profit, and pleasure, in the whole of my duration...
- Resolved, Never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I possibly can.
- Resolved, Never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.
- Resolved, Never to speak evil of any one, so that it shall tend to his dishonour, more or less, upon no account, except for some real good.
- Resolved, Never to allow the least measure of any fretting or uneasiness at my mother and father...
- Resolved, To improve every opportunity, when I am in the best and happiest frame of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in him, and consecrate myself wholly to him; that from this I may have assurance of my safety, knowing that I confide in my Redeemer.
- Resolved, Not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretfulness, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness, and benignity.
Taken from The Works of Jonathan Edwards (Vol I)
Edwards acknowledged that he was unable to keep such resolutions in his own strength, but endeavoured to keep them in his mind by reading over them once a week, and prayed for God's help to live according to them.
Please note all posts on this blog are published at the discretion of the Walking Worthy moderators. If you wish to submit an article, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note also that the contents of this post may only be republished with the permission of Walking Worthy.