Quote of the Week

The Bible speaks often of thirst, meaning thirst in the soul. The psalmist said: 'My soul thirsts for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?' (Psalm 42:2). Christ is the one who truly satisfies all thirsty souls: 'If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink.' (John 7:37).

Here is a quote from Samuel Rutherford, a man who also knew something of that thirst after the Lord:

'Could I once fully apprehend, believe, and see the love of the Son of God it were the fulfilling of the desires of the only happiness I wish for; but the truth is, I hinder my communion with him by want of both faith and repentance, and because I will make an idol of Christ's consolations. O how far are his ways above mine! O how little of him do I see! May the Lord, of the fullness of his riches, satisfy a famished man!'
Samuel Rutherford (Letters)

How thirsty are our souls? How much are we satisfying our thirst in Christ and his love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)