33 Reasons Why Not to Sin

If your daily lives are anything like mine, you get to the end of each day and wonder how such a great and holy God as ours can still love you after the way you behaved today. You didn’t love Him with all your heart, mind, soul and strength for even one moment of the day, and you continually held idols up, worshipping and serving them instead of the Creator… I cannot express in words my frustration at myself that, whether it be with my mouth, my hands, my eyes, my feet or my brain, I seem incapable of pleasing God – and that, of course, is because I am entirely incapable of pleasing him by myself.

But praise the Lord that in order to give us all the more reason to glorify Him, he not only saves us from our past sins (making us righteous in the sight of our righteous Father), but He chooses to sanctify us through his Spirit’s work in us.

The Spirit’s work in us could be well summarised as his teaching us to know God as we should and empowering us to act on that knowledge as we should. And a large part of that work involves teaching us to hate the sin that so easily entangles us.
So when I came across the passage below in a book that I was reading, I thought that you might find it useful. I invite you to pray through these 33 reasons not to sin. And if you start to feel that you are a dirty rag – don’t worry, that’s a good sign.

I was strengthened by these words in Heb 2v18: ‘For because He Himself suffered when tempted He is able to help those who are being tempted.’ He never asks us to go somewhere where he hasn’t already led the way, what a great leader we follow!

33 reasons not to sin:
We shouldn’t sin because:
  1. A little sin leads to more sin
  2. My sin invites the discipline of God
  3. The time spent in sin is wasted forever
  4. My sin never pleases but always grieves God who loves me
  5. My sin places a greater burden on my spiritual leaders
  6. In time my sin always brings heaviness to my heart
  7. I am doing what I do not have to do
  8. My sin always makes me less than what I could be
  9. Others, including my family, suffer consequences due to my sin
  10. My sin saddens the godly
  11. My sin makes the enemies of God rejoice
  12. Sin deceives me into believing I have gained when in reality I have lost
  13. Sin may keep me from qualifying for spiritual leadership
  14. The supposed benefits of my sin will never outweigh the consequences of disobedience
  15. Repenting of my sin is such a painful process, yet I must repent
  16. Sin is a very brief pleasure for an eternal loss
  17. My sin may influence others to sin
  18. My sin may keep others from knowing Christ
  19. Sin makes light of the cross upon which Christ died for the very purpose of taking away my sin
  20. It is impossible to sin and follow the Spirit at the same time
  21. God chooses not to respect the prayers of those who cherish their sin
  22. Sin steals my reputation and robs me of my testimony
  23. Others once more earnest than I have been destroyed by just such sins
  24. The inhabitants of heaven and hell would testify to the foolishness of this sin
  25. Sin and guilt may harm both mind and body
  26. Sin mixed with service makes the things of God tasteless
  27. Suffering for sin has no joy or reward, though suffering for righteousness has both
  28. My sin is adultery with the world
  29. Though forgiven, I will review this very sin at the judgement seat where loss or gain of rewards is applied
  30. My sin may be an indication of a lost condition
  31. To sin is not to love Christ
  32. My unwillingness to reject sin now grants sin a greater authority over me than I’d like
  33. Jesus Christ is my Saviour and Lord of my life
David van den Broek
All posts on this blog are published at the discretion of the Walking Worthy moderators. If you wish to write an article, please send it to walkingworthy110@gmail.com. Please note that the contents of this post may only be re-published with the permission of Walking Worthy.

5 comments:

  1. Thank-you for this post!

    I know exactly how you feel, because a day does not go by without my feeling exasperated and grieved with myself over various things I've said, done or thought that I know will have grieved my Saviour! How thankful I am that He will forgive me when I come before His throne of grace and ask for forgiveness, for truly '...He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9) Not only does He forgive us, but cleanses us from all our sins, making us appear righteous before Him so that when He looks at us He sees His precious Son Jesus, who gave His life that we may be reunited with our Father! To know that when God looks at me and sees Jesus and not my unworthiness, that knowledge truly fills my heart with praise and adoration for my Saviour!

    I thought the list was excellent and so true. With Christ's help, I pray that I may be more on my guard against sin, as when I read that list, it made me more aware of how gruesome, deadly and offending sin really is. I think it can be easy to forget the seriousness of sin sometimes. This list helped to reinforce the knowledge of this! I think that God wants us to reflect on the seriousness of sin and how offensive it is to Him, and to be aware of how unworthy we are, to awaken within us a deeper awe of His amazing love, forgiveness and mercy, and to deepen our gratitude and praise to Him for His saving grace. When I say that God would want us to reflect on our unworthiness and on His mercy, I do not mean that we are to wallow in the depths of despair and become depressed at our unworthiness, but that it should help us to look to Christ and actually gladden our hearts that we have such a wonderful Saviour! Of course we should be repentant when we have sinned and displeased our Heavenly Father, (a broken and a contrite heart God will not despise - Psalm 51:17), but we are not to focus so much on our sins that it drags us into the mire of despair instead of turning us towards the Light.

    Just one question: from what book did this list come from? I'd be interested in reading the book for myself.

    In Him, Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. 34. I can see the terrible affects of sin in the world, in my life and in other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    Thank-you for this article.I say with Rebekah, where did you get that book?

    I notice that when I sin, my behavior changes. I become rebellious to my parents and mean to my siblings.

    I think the worst part of the sinning process is repenting. I might say earlier in the day:
    '' Right I wont do this today... or... I haven't done that for a while, keep it up'' But I end up doing it anyway! I come before God so angry that I have failed Him again. Sometimes I feel almost suicidal! But afterwards I feel refreshed and forgiven. It is an amazing experience, being free from sin!

    One of my favorite yet challenging verses in the Bible is Psalm 19v14
    ''Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.''

    I endeavor to glorify God better through this verse.

    Soli Deo Gloria!
    trans: To God be glory alone!

    AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a Poem that I did.
    (actually I think it is called a paraphrase in LM(long meter)) It is from Psalm 51. When David sinned with Basheba. And how he asked for forgiveness. This could apply to any sin, not just adultery:

    PSALM 51:1-10

    Have mercy upon my Oh God.
    Because of You lovingkindness
    According to Your great mercy
    For against You I do transgress.

    From my iniquity wash me
    Thoroughly from all my sin,
    I know all of my transgression
    Before me always is my sin.

    Against You only have I sinned
    And done what is evil in Your sight.
    May Your speech be justified
    May Your judgement be aright.

    I was conceived into my sin
    From my mother's womb I did part.
    You want the truth that is within
    You teach me wisdom in the heart

    Purge me then I shall be clean
    Clean,with perfumed incense.
    Wash me, then I will like snow gleam
    Let me hear You with gladness

    With broken bones I will have joy
    Hide and overlook all of my sin.
    My iniquities You destroy
    Give me heart and Spirit within.

    I just thought that that would be helpful.

    In Christ.
    JONAH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post, David. What solid reasons to keep away from sin!

    I recently read these words on sin from Calvin, "For there is no doubt that God's righteousness finds all iniquity loathsome...By recognising our iniquity, powerlessness and utter ruin, we learn to give him all glory for his holiness, power and salvation." Basically, by realising just how worthless we are in His sight, we are actually glorifying Him, as we are recognising how Holy He is in contrast- and how gracious He is in saving us. We should be encouraged by that. As you have already said, Rebekah, God shows us that He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). How marvelous! What a privileged people we are to have the LORD as our God!

    Elspeth

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. We love to hear our reader's responses. :)